I have a number of women who I am grateful for. Some exist only as words on a page others are simply a phone call away, regardless of distance, they are all common in the sense that they are not thanked often enough. For every great woman in our world there are a hundred girls like me who look up to her. They deserve gratitude.
Three specific women who I think of often are Kate, Jo, and Anne. I call them by these names because in my moments when I am the most conflicted I put myself in their shoes and through this process I feel as if I am talking to an old friend when I consult my idols (although I am aware that these are imaginary conversations they have helped me come to some of the best decisions I have made in my short life time).
- I would like to thank Kate Mulgrew who played the fearless captain Kathryn Janeway. You taught me a that women can be strong
- I would like to thank J.K. Rowling, who created the character Hermione Granger. You taught me that a woman can be smart
- I would like to thank Anne Frank. You taught me that a woman can never be alone if she shares her thoughts with the world
I am Strong, Smart, and Vocal because of the impressions you craft have made on my soul.
And now I’d like to thank the women who are not specific. The women who did a thousand little things that made a million big differences in my life.
- I would like to thank the Aunts who bought me books and not ‘things’. You gave me a world brighter and fuller than our own.
- I would like to thank the teacher who accepted nothing less than perfection. Without you I would not know what I was capable of
- I would like to thank the Friend who is always there. Without your shoulder, kind eyes, or uplifting words I would have fallen long ago.
- I would like to thank the mother who never gave up. The more difficult I was the more you believed in me.
- I would like to thank the rabbi, a woman, who always listened. Without you I would not have learned that listening is half the work towards knowing.
- I would like to thank my sister. Without you I would have never learned how to be a sister (brothers just don’t cut it in the sibling department 😉 )
I am Kind, Determined, and Present because of the marks your actions left on my heart.
For the many millions of things I have more millions to say. My gratitude is endless because today I realized that I am a good and strong person only because of the women who have taught me how to be a good and strong woman.